Monday, March 3, 2014

Oscars Dress SMUT: my best dressed list

Cate Blanchett is probably my favourite dresser of all time, and so I was quite excited to see what she was going to wear tonight (especially considering she was a lock to win). Though the nude Armani dress she wore tonight is not my favourite Oscar gown she's worn (that would go to the pale purple Givenchy gown from 2011), I still liked her look this year.
Givenchy, 2011
Armani, 2014
I really liked the two other dresses that were similar in colour and beading to Cate Blanchett's: her cast-mate Sally Hawkins' long-sleeve Valentino (even though there's been a lot of shade thrown at it online, I think it's awesome!) as well as Sarah Paulson's long-sleeve Elie Saab number.
 

Speaking of Elie Saab, I clearly was all over the Brange! (I love how he always insists on coming round the car and opening the door for her when they arrive anywhere-just like when I saw them at TIFF for Moneyball a few years ago). Ange wore Elie Saab and looked great. And I liked the simple hair. And thank goodness Brad has dealt with the hair. I can't believe he's 50. Still so smokin.

I loved Naomi Watts in Calvin Klein. I always love what she picks on the red carpet, even if a bit simple and predictable (she goes for sleek, light coloured, and metallics). Love her hair, makeup and jewellery, but those dinky little shoes are bad and have to go!

I like Anne Hathaway's black Gucci with the bedazzled breast-plate, but this does not make up for what she wore last year with the nipple darts *shudder*

Best dressed of the night though has to be given to Lupita Nyong'o in custom Prada. I mean look at the movement she gets in this dress. This is a dress that photographs well, looks incredible from all angles, and especially when walking (or dancing!). This girl and her stylist knew what they were doing when they picked this dress!





I think my favourite thing is the colour though:
Some honourable mentions to all the men who wore dark blue tuxes instead of black-looks so much better (esp. Jason Sudekis). I like what Olivia Wilde wore too--I'm a sucker for a dress with pockets.

And clearly the best dressed couple goes to Pharrell Williams and his gf Helen Lasichanh. I mean he wore god damned formal tuxedo shorts! Come on!

One last shout-out to the real Philomena Lee who I think looked awesome! (She's 80!)

What were your favourite looks of the night?

2 comments: