Tuesday, September 22, 2015

TIFF 2015 Overview

Another September, another TIFF season done! Sigh. Who knew that watching movies and spotting celebs could be so tiring?!?! (Don't worry, I ain't complaining). I was planning on writing reviews for everything I saw, and posting them in semi-real time, but my viewing schedule was so hectic that I couldn't keep up! So, this is my attempt to give some insight on what I saw (and considering most of the films won't come out in wide release for quite some time, I feel like I'm not too far behind).

This year, I took full advantage of the fact that I'm unemployed, and saw the most films I've ever seen at TIFF in one year-20 movies! Woo! Here is the run down of what I saw:
  • Hitchcock/Truffaut (documentary) 
  • London Road (British Musical based on stage play) 
  • The Lobster (drama)
  • My Great Night (Spanish language Comedy)
  • He Named Me Malala (documentary)
  • Jason Reitman’s Live Read of the Princess Bride
  • Eva doesn't sleep (Argentinian film)
  • Legend (drama)
  • This Changes Everything (Naomi Klein documentary) 
  • Desierto (Mexican drama)
  • Spotlight (drama)
  • Anomalisa (stop animation directed by Charlie Kaufman)
  • Victoria (German thriller filmed in 1 take) 
  • No Men Beyond This Point (Canadian mockumentary)
  • Sherpa (documentary on Everest) 
  • The Waiting Room (Bosnian drama)
  • The Witch (supernatural thriller/horror) 
  • Angry Indian Goddesses (Indian dramedy)
  • Lolo (French language rom com directed by Julie Delpy)
  • The Final Girls (horror comedy at Midnight Madness)
And I'm happy to report that with the exception of a few films that were disappointing (we'll get to that later) most things were excellent, especially the 4 documentaries I saw. The best movie I saw was Spotlight (and I think there's a pretty good chance it will win Best Picture this year, although the race is still early).

Now, on to my reviews!

No comments:

Post a Comment