Monday, February 23, 2015

Fashion Smut: My favourite looks of Oscar 2015.

I've purposely kept myself off all my favourite blogs today so as to not colour my view of what the fashion Gods were throwing at us last night. It's too easy to bandwagon jump! and so, this is my own take on the dress (and tuxedo) smut that was thrown down on the red carpet at Oscar 2015.

Let's start with the best, shall we...

None of my best dressed from last night were surprises to me, as they are all women whose fashion choices I constantly and consistently love.

First up is my absolute favourite, which would be Emma Stone in Elie Saab.
I mean look at the back! 


I love the sleekness of the dress, and a long sleeve in February (especially in rainy LA last night) is a great choice. But mostly I love the colour! Chartreuse(ish). That is a tough colour to rock, and it looks great on her.

What's interesting about Emma Stone's dress as well is that it illustrates how Elie Saab can go in very different directions and doesn't always hit a home run with every red carpet dress (i.e. JLO's Boobs&Tulle extravaganza).

Maybe chartreuse looks great on all redheads? B/c this is somewhat reminiscent of Nicole Kidman's famous John Galliano for Dior dress she wore in 1997 (Y'all know the story about her sitting absolutely still in the limo for 2+ hours so as to not wrinkle the dress. That shit takes discipline!)


Next is Emma Stone's co-star from Birdman, Naomi Watts, in Armani Privé.
Again, I'm really loving the back!


Naomi Watts usually goes for a sleek silhouette, in a metallic or neutral, but you know what?! If it works, it works! Her dress this year is actually similar to what she wore 2 years ago, also Armani Privé in a sparkly metallic (and also one of my fave looks at the 2013 Oscars, see here to revisit). I liked it then, and I like it now!

Next is Lupita Nyong'o in Calvin Klein, who can actually do NO wrong re: the fashion. Like, holy F!
I mean, she had a lot to live up to from the Nairobi Blue Prada dress from last year, but she did not disappoint. I don't think photos even really do it justice, but my god, she is a pearl from head to toe!


How surprising is it that this is Calvin Klein? Not usually their jam now is it? Vogue.com has a really great article explaining the concept behind the dress here and some great pictures of the dress being constructed. 

 





Last but not least is Cate Blanchett, in Maison Martin Margiela.

I mean, this isn't my favourite look she's ever had (that would go to my favourite Oscar look of all time-the lavender Givenchy she wore in 2011, posted below b/c really I just want to post pictures of this dress whenever I can) but it fits great, it's simple, and I love an aggressive statement piece of jewelry with a pop of colour.

Also can we talk about how amazing what she wore to the Independent Spirit Awards on Saturday? I mean look at this:



This dress is INSANE. I love it SO MUCH. It looks like the story board of a Wes Anderson movie and it makes me so god damned happy! Cate Blanchett, you are my Fashion Spirit Animal!

Lastly, a few shout outs to the guys who brought it (No one will beat Pharrell's formal shorts look from last year--see here--but still). Considering men don't have a whole lot of choice on the red carpet (black tux, black tux, white tux, black tux, ...) I love when someone busts out a great coloured tux, like David Oyelowo and Eddie Redmayne, below, though not a powdered blue tux, I'm looking at you Jared Leto!


So, who did I miss on the best dressed list?

Next up, my fashion disappointments and disasters!

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Yes! Also the fact that his pocket square was the same fabric as his wife's dress

      Delete